Head of Technical
An amazing opportunity to join an established and well known organisation within the drinks industry in a newly created position as a Head of Technical to develop, implement, and manage the strategy for contract manufacturing. To lead the selection and implementation of new business, whilst managing the existing business relationships, working closely with the Operations Leader and the Manufacturing Manager to ensure this is aligned with the overall manufacturing strategy.
Lead all aspects of Technical Development ensuring all external and internal compliance requirements in Safety, Quality, and Continuous Improvement are met. Influence the Site Managers with strong technical leadership and with their collaboration, drive and deliver improvement in operational performance. Develop, deliver and manage an Integrated Management System (IMS) strategy to ensure delivery of the Company’s objectives and meet the needs of external compliance requirements, liaising with external regulatory bodies as needed. Develop and manage the implementation of Operational Excellence, working with the Manufacturing Manager to drive a culture of continuous improvement and “Best Practice” compared to competitors.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead selection and contract negotiation for both new and existing 3rd parties; Decision maker on which 3rd party customers we manufacture for, in conjunction with business stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain a structured approach to selection and management of 3rd party customers, and how this interfaces with manufacturing of own products
- Ensure pricing and financial/operating model are agreed with Finance team, to ensure co-pack fees compare favourably with the competition but deliver the necessary income to company.
- Ensure production planning and materials supply & use “rules” are agreed with the customer, to optimise the level of customer dry goods and cased goods at Hillington at any one time
- Draw up contracts in conjunction with business stakeholders
- Lead Customer relationship management and regular Business reviews to maintain a high level of customer service and smooth working relationships.
- Develop and maintain a detailed database and understanding of the 3rd party market and competitor costs in Scotland, seeking out new opportunities to ensure the available capacity at site is optimised.
- Develops strategies for Safety, Quality Assurance & Risk for the Operations function, aligning with manufacturing strategies
- Provides leadership and support to ensure compliance with all relevant legislation, policies and procedures related to Safety and Quality.
- Ensures a focus on performance improvement and behavioural change.
- Leads Risk Management Processes to resolve Safety and Quality issues, ensuring root causes are identified and sustainable corrective & preventative actions are implemented by the operational teams.
- Ensures effective execution of quality assurance, customer complaint, & risk prevention processes
- Ensures that standards for product protection and prevention of contamination are met
- With Operations managers, establish plant hygiene standards regarding work wear, etc.
- Develops strategies for the prevention/mitigation of risks and execution of contingency and business continuity plans.
- Manages all technical requirements with any 3rd party Co-Packer used by company, including Quality Assurance standards, audits, specification compliance, quality performance and complaint investigation and problem solving.
- Through introduction of appropriate controls ensure that Operations operates in compliance with requirements of HMRC.
- Project manage key capital projects, and where applicable in accordance with The Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2007
- Ensures that IMS Systems are developed and implemented and accreditation via external accreditation bodies is maintained.
- Develops and executes audit processes and ensures audit action completion for IMS (Integrated Management System) to meet the requirements of the external accreditations and compliance with all relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
This is a varied role and we are looking to speak with candidates with some of the following experience:
- Proven knowledge of Safety, Quality and Integrated Management systems
- Comprehensive knowledge of all management and ISO Systems (e.g. ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, ISO 22000 or BRC standards).
- Comprehensive knowledge of some of the following functions: distillation, maturation, blending and bottling processes.
- Strong problem solving & project management skills ensuring cross functional ownership & accountability
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills, with ability to build strong relationships cross functionally and work well with others/part of a team
- Proven skills to lead, motivate and inspire people
- Facilitation and Coaching skills
- Broad knowledge of Supply Chain and a high degree of business acumen
- Demonstrable project management skills and auditing experience
- Ability to work under pressure and manage changing priorities
- Has a "hands on" approach to their work and isn't' afraid to offer up ideas to improve processes
- Broad knowledge of whisky bottling and packaging supply operations.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of all relevant Environmental, Health & Safety legislation, and HMRC.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all management systems
- Proven knowledge and understanding of Lean Manufacturing principles and experience of Lean implementation within a production environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to build strong relationships cross-functionally.
- Broad understanding of Financial, Commercial and Procurement practices.
- Proven knowledge of IT systems.
- Strong problem solving and project management skills ensuring cross functional ownership and accountability.
Apply now in confidence.