Rachael Baxter, Head of Delivery celebrated her 7 Year Anniversary with Nine Twenty. Rachael reflected on her time in the business, and discussed the key points she has learned from being a recruiter within the Technology industry.
Like most recruitment consultants, I did not go to university to become a recruitment consultant, but once I secured my first graduate role, it was a world I knew I was never going to leave.
From the moment I started in recruitment, I loved it, and as a young student who had spent four years skint and spending any money I did have on partying or clothes, the appeal of the pound automatically secured my interest to work hard.
However, what I did not expect, was how much I love the recruitment world and gain a passion for my sector, technology.
I remember when I was approached about interviewing with Nine Twenty, and I am not going to lie, at first, I did not know I wanted to go to the interview. I had been working for an international corporate recruitment agency so Nine Twenty’s environment, was going to be a complete shock to the system. However, once I interviewed Gordon and Alan, and I knew instantly that Nine Twenty was for me, their vision and passion had me hooked, and continues to do so.
They say, “recruitment is a rollercoaster!” and my journey at Nine Twenty has been intense, to say the least, but extremely fulfilling and I would not trade the experience for the world.
I have grown up and matured here, professionally and personally achieving many of life’s milestones, which without Nine Twenty would not have been possible, and for that, I will be forever grateful.
I would like to thank the Nine Twenty team and a special mention to Gordon, Chris, Laura and Alan who have supported my growth and career ambitions, I could not have done it without them.
So, I thought I would take some time to reflect on what I have learned over the last 7 years:
- Recruitment is tough and not for the faint-hearted, you need to be resilient, but the job satisfaction is amazing.
- There is always a new challenge around the corner.
- Clear communication is everything.
- Deliver on your promises.
- Build good relationships with your clients and candidates – the Scottish market is actually very small!
- Candidates lie and recruiters lie – this job makes you slightly cynical.
- Do not take business matters personally.
- You cannot control people's decision-making, do not take decisions personally.
- Be a team player – your team is everything to you, we really are one big family.
- You are learning every day.
- It is cheesy but we change candidates’ lives – genuinely no better feeling getting a candidate that perfect job.
- You are emotionally invested – not every recruiter is a shark, and most cry!
- Only other recruiters understand the recruiter's way of life, and maybe their spouses.
- Celebrate success and be proud of what you have achieved.
- Work-life balance is so important – make time for your family, friends, and dogs!
- And last but not least, have a good hairdresser, you will go grey!
So, on that note; “raise a glass” here’s to the next 7 years at Nine Twenty!
Head of Delivery
Tel: +44 (0) 141 231 1260
Mob: +44 (0) 7825 45 63 78